Friday, May 10, 2019

Wild Rice Festival

Spring is in the air which you know what that means...Wild Rice Festival! At least in Jiaxing that is what it means. My Jiaxing friends told me this festival is something that only happens in our area which is quite special. 

To welcome in spring the people of Jiaxing will eat the foods that are available that time of year which include peas, lima beans, wild rice, and sausage. They also will eat a century egg during this time for good luck. I haven't eaten that egg and don't plan to but the wild rice is lovely. 

The rice is cooked over a fire pit and people will do this in parks or in their own yards. We did this at our school's green house area. 



The parents brought various meats and fruits and the school provided the lima beans and peas. 




The students got to peel the beans and peas and then spent most of the time hanging out with their friends and reading books. 




Since it was in our school's green house area there were lots of opportunities to take nice pictures. Here I am with my TAs Lydia and Jeanne. 

Jeanne, myself, Lydia

The week before our school had this festival, Jeanne had invited me to her family's home and we also ate wild rice. 

Jeanne's daughter, Juliet, playing with a bubble blower.


She also took me to a tourist area where we drank tea and walked around for the day. It's a super family friendly festival and a lot of fun!


 If you are in Jiaxing around spring time then you can join in on the fun too. 
Hope to see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment